SOLAR ECLIPSE 2012 – WE’RE AT PALMER RIVER FNQ

Your ABC Far North crew is standing by at the Palmer River Roadhouse for the 2012 total solar eclipse. We’re right under the centreline of the path the eclipse will take crossing Cape York Peninsula. And we’re at the point where the totality, the complete […]

TOLGA BAT HOSPITAL – FNQ WILDLIFE CARERS IN ACTION

Far north Queensland is home to large numbers of bats and flying foxes. If you’re lucky enough to see one up close, they’re adorable little creatures. But not everyone loves them. Fruit growers see them as a real threat to their crops and livelihoods. Flying […]

CAPE YORK DEBATES WORLD HERITAGE LISTING

Cape York seems to go on forever — and that’s not just because the roads require a fairly gentle pace of travel. It’s big — almost 15 million hectares — but it’s sparsely populated. Just 19 thousand people call the place home, living in an […]

TIME FOR SMOKO AT THE ARCHER RIVER ROAD HOUSE CAPE YORK PENINSULA

As you make your way around far north Queensland, you’ll hear people talk about stopping whatever they’re doing to have “smoko”. In the old days, it meant stopping work for a cigarette break, and was probably a term introduced by sheep shearers. In FNQ these […]

ON THE ROAD TO COEN IN THE RAIN

MY BIG DAY OUT IN COEN CAPE YORK PENINSULA.

Working in radio means I’m always learning. I spend my days asking questions, so I live in a constant flow of information, ideas and stories. It’s a great place to be, and I enjoy sharing it with my radio listeners and blog readers. I learn […]