RSS

CAIRNS ENTERTAINMENT PRECINCT — HAS THE QLD GOVERNMENT KILLED IT OFF?

19 Apr

Has the Queensland Government killed off the Cairns Entertainment Precinct project. Or is FNQ being told you can have what the LNP promised during its election campaign, dredging of Trinity Inlet, or an Entertainment Precinct? But not both.


A few days back Local Government Minister David Crisafulli told us the 57 million dollars promised by the previous Government for the project was secure, a statement he made again yesterday in Brisbane to Cairns Mayor Val Schier. But while that meeting was taking place, Premier Campbell Newman was in Cairns saying there’s no 57 million for this project. His Government won’t support it in its current form.

It’s not uncommon to hear a leader say one thing and a Minister say the opposite. But it raises some interesting questions about the future of the project, the way the new State Government operates, and Cairns Regional Council’s advocacy of its 155 million dollar proposal.

Here’s what Minister Crisafulli told us last week when asked about State funding for the C-E-P.

And here’s Campbell Newman

Cairns Regional Council mayor Val Schier

The LNP’s Member for Cairns Gavin King


Advertisements
 

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

3 responses to “CAIRNS ENTERTAINMENT PRECINCT — HAS THE QLD GOVERNMENT KILLED IT OFF?

  1. Pete.

    April 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

    One thing the pro-dredging people should do is take a look at some history.

    If you walk along the esplanade you can see some information boards with the story of the area. The mud flats that exist now are the result of previous dredging. Apparently the foreshore there used to be a white sandy beach before it was dredged for the first time. What will happen next time?

     
  2. John Ford

    April 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

    More questions than answers: a) Re dredging – What will be the impact of dredging? Who will pay for it next year? How many more ships would come to Cairns? Where is the business plan? b) The Cultural Precinct – It seems that both the State Govt and perhaps a new Mayor will pull out of the partnership for the CEP. Do they believe that under these circumstances the Federal Govt would then have a right to pull out their funding commitment? c. What right does the new Premier have to make this election a one issue vote? Just wondering.

     
  3. Marilyn Webb

    April 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

    PRECINCT YES

     
 
%d bloggers like this: